Health Ignite V3 at the OMSI in Portland OR is Tonight.
1 mic, 5 minutes, 20 slides, 300 peers in the audience… no pressure, right?
The Design Revolution in Healthcare
The medical community is struggling to keep up with the way modern consumers interact with consumer health care services. Important advances in wearable technology are being introduced to help manage positive behavior change, but the adoption is lowest in the highest risk populations.
To further complicate the issue, as the importance of consumer driven health goes up, consumer comprehension of health care information is facing new cultural and societal challenges. A recent Columbia University study indicates that in the course of a modern day people need to make an average of 70 important decisions. For many people, this leads to a state of diminished mental efficacy known as decision fatigue. The result is poor information comprehension and poor decision making in consumers, creating hereto unseen barriers in health literacy among the population and consumer health care interactions.
Austen Angell, FIDSA, and IDSA Board of Directors’ Chair Emeritus, will discuss his firm Modern Edge’s view of how service design and industrial design are transforming medical services and the development of consumer medical and wellness devices —driving positive trends in compliance, efficacy and adoption.
What is Health Ignite?
Health Ignite is a high-energy evening of 5-minute talks by local people who have an burning idea and the guts to get onstage and share their personal and professional passions. Quick, fun, thought-provoking, social, local, and global – Ignite is all of these and more.
Health Ignite will include topics like wellness, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, healthcare reform, etc. What products, services and research is out there that can really take healthcare to the next level? What new ideas could make the world of healthcare better – for patients, for doctors, or for everyone? Attend Health Ignite and you will find out. Speakers are from the local Portland community with representatives across many verticals, so you don’t want to miss this event!
Why attend Health Ignite?
As an attendee, you’ll learn about emerging, innovative, unconventional, inspiring, locally-sourced concepts and tools, and connect with a diverse and passionate crowd of like-minded health innovation enthusiasts. Most of all, you will have fun! In addition to great lineup of presentations, our emcee, Mohan Nair from Cambia Health Solutions will be an amazing addition to our Health Ignite stage.
Presenters include (in no particular order):
- Stephen Odell & Annie Miller – Biopsychofashion™ is More than Just a Mouthful
- Chris Logan (@chrislogan) – Market Forces of Life and Death
- Melissa Booker (@officetutorials)- The Satchel Paige Approach to Wellness
- Matt Selbie (@opiniator)- Actionable, In Clinic Patient Feedback to Improve Satisfaction and Reduce Defection
- Nora Stern – Pain Treatment: It’s Everyone’s Job!
- Devin Bost – Reducing complexity of computational medicine
- Kenneth Willett – Using the Free Cloud for Personal Health Data
- Andy Bartley (@nursegrid) – Rapid Innovation In Health IT
- Kim Burchiel – Deep Brain Stimulation for Obesity
- Molly Lindquist (@ConsanoMolly)- Crowdfunding is Agile Giving
- Austen Angell (@austenangell) – The Service and Industrial Design Revolution
- Monte Roulier – Linking Communities & Clinics with the Commons
- Zach Goldstein – Addressing Patients’ Social Needs in Health Care Delivery
- Erin Flynn – The Innovation Quadrant: Oregon’s Health and Life Sciences Hub
When: Thursday, October 29, 2015: 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Where: OMSI Emprical Theatre, 1945 SE Water Ave, Portland, OR
Time: 5:30pm – 7:30pm I 5:30pm – Networking I 6:00pm – Program
Cost: Free to attend but registration is required. Food will be available for purchase.
Parking: Free in the OMSI parking lot