January 25th, 2017
Portland Oregon — On January 25-26th, Charles Austen Angell FIDSA provided the Keynote talk at the 1.5 day TieCON 2017- Technology and Investor Conference. https://www.tiecon.org/ The event brought together entrepreneurs and investors to highlight three disruptive technology sectors – Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, Life Sciences, and Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality/Mixed Reality.
Mr Angell’s keynote focus on enhancing the emotional content of these technologies as well as how to prioritize your innovation strategies to reflect the true needs of end users.
• AI: Technology still falling short of of standard set by medical practitioners, IE. Watson diagnoses with 82% accuracy.
• There is a predicted 300% increase in investment expected to be seen in AI in 2017 over 2016, with 6 billion coming from VCs.
• Considerable concern continues as to how AI will be incorporated within FDA complaint devices due to the current FDA guidelines for device development.
• VA/AR: Dominant and compelling consumer platforms have not been identified. Even within gaming industry successes such as Pokeman GO, interest faded quickly.
• The implication is that much of current AR/VR trends towards novelty driven experiences rather than an emotional experience prioritizing long term human needs and behaviors.
• Entertainment companies are considering unique strategies with significant impact on their business model, IE. Six Flags is providing riders with Samsung VR headsets rather than building new roller coasters
• AR/VR is facing the similar challenges in FDA compliance as AI.
• Applications for consumer level innovation in medical AR/VR are under-represented.
“The opportunity is for companies to reorganize development strategies to be human centered, prioritizing longterm human emotional concerns over a shorter-term wow factor.’ Angell continued, “The investors themselves have a role to play in helping to steer these company strategies towards a user-centered focus, if for nothing else simply to protect their investments.” One of Angell’s top priorities as CEO of Modern Edge is assisting technology companies in human-centering their development strategies through research and design thinking.
Charles Austen Angell is a noted and globally known designer and innovator, and Fellow of the Industrial Design Society of America. Austen has led research and design programs for the world’s most innovative companies such as Intel Corporation, Procter & Gamble, St Jude, Medtronic, Gillette, Harley Davidson, Johnson & Johnson, John Deere, BMW, and 3M, among others. He has keynoted conferences and talks at NASA, IEEE, IDSA,TIE, TAO, and other leading organizations on innovation and technology.
For more information, a copy of the presentation, or for a proposal on your latest project contact us: contact(at)modernedge(.com)
Our blend of user research, technical and mechanical innovation, and styling helps our client bring truly unique products to market.